Sunday, February 27, 2011

My First Post

Well isn't this exciting! I'm starting a blog. I've never had a blog before. Now I can talk to myself as if someone might actually be paying attention. Woah, that's more terrifying than gratifying. Anyway...

This blog is suppose to be about my Thesis. (Backstory time for anyone who might read this that doesn't know me in real life). I go to film school for animation. My senior year is coming fast and I am starting production in the last film I will make while in school. This thesis project will slowly consume my life until fall, when it will finally take a good hold of my legs and drown me in its waters. (That's a good thing... I hope)

First off, this short film, like all those before it, will be in 3Dimation. That was meant to be a joke but no-one probably knows the reference. I am talking about Stop Motion puppet animation (Nightmare Before Christmas, Wallace and Gromit). The reference is to Ray Harryhausen, one of the greatest stop motion animators who used this term for his puppet animation shorts. I'm going to try and bring this term back into use.

Back to the point. My 3Dimation will obviously be animated by me. The puppets will also be made by me but they are being based on designs by a very talented amateur knitwear designer named Alyssa (her blog). The sets will be incredibly minimal (I want to focus more on animation than building this time around). There are others involved but I shouldn't talk about them without their permission.

Okay, onto the actual idea. MY FILM IS ABOUT... nothing. Yet. Don't worry, I'm not the one responsible for that part. Exactly. You see, my plan is to take my adorable little sister and record her talking about whatever I can get her to ramble on and on about. That recording phase will happen this summer. I have a somewhat rigid visual story I can force this to take but I have been advised to be far more free about this process and be open to the possibilities that will be presented by my sister. So I won't talk about this rigid idea unless it comes to pass that I go with it.

So that's all there is to it as of late. I could talk about a lot of other details involved with the film but that would make this post even longer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment