Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Camera Geek

(I am only doing this to indulge my inner camera junkie so bare with me.)

Over the past summer I have learned to LOVE CAMERAS. I mean seriously, photographic technology rocks my socks. It started after I bought my first DSLR, my canon t1i, for my stop motion projects. I didn't do much with it besides my one quarter film during that first spring but it was cool to have a nice camera (I only ever had one camera before it and that was an extreme compact fujifilm point and shoot). Then when I moved to my next project I read up on a bunch of things regarding flickr and how to avoid it. The number one was an adapter and nikon lenses, and at first I had no money so it was out of the question. BUT a shining beacon came in the form of my girlfriend, who shall be called A. She had once been into film photography and still had an old pentax k1000 to prove it but that wasn't the exciting part.

Years ago, when she had first gotten into photography her aunt gave her two nikkor lenses from when she had a camera (not sure why she had the lenses but not the camera). A fifty and a three hundred. There was my answer! And A was more than happy to give them to me, (she had since moved on from photography into different craft interests).  Immediatly upon these turn of events I bought myself an F mount to EOS mount adapter.

During my second film, I eventually purchased a couple old manual lenses from a local camera shop. He gave me a discount so I paid way under what one of the lenses with AF would have cost me. Then, when my father and I were looking through some old things at my late grandfather's house, we found my dad's Nikon FG. He gave it to me and, luckily, the lenses I bought work with the FG's metering system. Hooray!

Now this summer happened. I got more and more interested in digital photography (and did some film practice on the side). I also acquired a professional crop-sensor nikon body through my adventures. She's old but hasn't run out of actuations. And all my old lenses work with her. This all leads me to this -->

I took out a 7D from my school's equipment cage to familiarize myself with it in jux-position to the nikon. And I decided to take the oppurtunity to photograph my main equipment.


Sometimes I wonder if I should go into Camera and lighting work when I move to LA, or stick with fabrication or compositing. It is a given that I want to animate but I have been a little conflicted as of late as to what else to try and specialize in, if anything at all.

I'll be buying some 100w fresnels in the next few weeks and I am just about to move onto my animatic. More updates to come.

2 comments:

  1. :B You know, she did have a camera body, but it broke. I think she also had that nasty leather bag - do you remember that? Did I give it to you? I don't remember. I just remember everything smelled like leather when she gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I never got the nasty leather bag. Really don't need it either, as you well know.

    ReplyDelete