Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Character DESIGN!

 Did I ever mentioned I abandoned the whole claymation/downshooting concept? Well I did and am going back to my roots of puppet animation. These are just a few pages that my lovely assistant drew up when we decided to go this route. When I first kiboshed the whole clay emote thing I went back to my original monster and princess concept I had before I started recording Girly. We mulled it over a little but something didn't seem right about a Monster and Princess pairing.


  I wanted my the two creatures to be distinctly connected but in order to be satisfied with the princess thing I could only come up with adding a prince that the monster was eating. I hated the idea and quickly had my character designer go with an idea I had for a smaller version of the monster. (Hence the first picture)






I was hooked on the idea immediatly after she drew the first hairy little thing (the fanny pack is an abandoned concept). We went through I few revisions of her basic set up and I realized I wanted her to be asymmetrical. So the horns were adjusted. Of course once she was uneven, we just had to go back to the original creature and see how he would look next to her. He has changed a bit since his original drawing but I very much enjoy what he has become.



After some discussion about construction, we wound up with the illustration on the right of the two of them. Aren't they just ADORABLE!? I am very happy with this result. There are noticeable differences between the two disregarding the size. The arms are probably the most notable. The elder monster is much more (dare I say) "animated" with the lines from the recordings so I wanted the long arms for that purpose. The junior monster needs to hold more innocence and be as juvenile as possible without breaking away from her counterpart, so she was given smaller arms and her awkward horns to signify a different age group


Construction will begin this time next week. As for this week, the storyboards are being worked on. Now before you go "A week to decide how your visual storyline? are you really doing it justice!?" Because of a certain animatic requirement at SoFA I need to get something on paper and then onto a timeline for export within these next three weeks. It won't be a finalized version but it will be close to the end result. (just a quick thing, my recording is edited to exactly what I want, meaning my story timeline is already concrete. I don't need to work out timing within the dialog or any such thing. It flows better as it was dictated so I am keeping it as such.)

Also, since this is my first time blogging I thought figuring out pictures would be a nightmare but chrome and blogger together now make it infinitely easy. Thanks again google for slowly making me dependent on your software.

I'll post some of the boards next week. Going to go take a test now. Damn all my other classes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment